Any takers?

A workshop for joint posts in progress.
Chief Operations Officer

Re: Any takers?

Postby Lani Rodgers » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:40 pm

"This..." Lani waved vaguely at her tricorder. "...advanced artificial intelligence. More than just the normal computer, that can control nearly everything with a single voice command. This program can think and take actions itself, and it's in every major system on aboard the Excalibur. I think it might be able to manifest itself via holoprojectors, but I haven't requested it to do that." Rodgers then made a little remark. "It's remarkable it hasn't evacuated all of us little puny flesh bags on this ship and taken complete control."
LTJG Lani Rodgers
Chief Operations Officer

Mess Management Officer

Postby Gawenn » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:30 am

Olivia was more amused than anything by the explanation. She'd become rather attached to the ship's avatar herself, but she wasn't at all surprised to hear that someone had a negative opinion of the AI's level of control of the ship. "You're talking about Cali? Well, I can tell you that your assumption about her being able to use the holoprojectors to manifest is quite correct. As for the rest, don't you think you might be being a bit paranoid?"

The fact was, she didn't doubt for a moment the AI was listening in on their conversation. What, she wondered, would be her opinion on such an accusation? She wasn't at all certain if Cali really felt emotions, or if they just perceived her as having them. It wasn't her line of work. She knew Cali acted like a person, so she saw fit to treat her the same she'd treat anyone on board. She certainly didn't consider her a likely source for a threat of any kind, though.
Olivia "Rat" Gawenn
Mess Management Officer
USS Excalibur

Chief Operations Officer

Postby Lani Rodgers » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:14 pm

OOC: Sorry for the delay.

"Cali?" Rodgers said, somewhat in disbelief that it had a name, and somewhat in extreme disappointment. "As for being paranoid, I think history speaks for itself quite well. There's a reason why this kind of AI is typically limited to the holodeck. If you know your history, Daystrom's failure of his system to control an entire starship with a computer intelligence didn't end well. History is bound to repeat itself." Lani also wondered why this program hadn't shown itself to her. Maybe it calculated that the best outcome was to just leave Rodgers well enough alone, or it was collecting data to better understand the woman, or it was just waiting for some appropriately dramatic entrance. After all, when you have complete control over a huge, powerful Federation starship, why not have a flair for the dramatic? "Anyway," Lani said, changing tones. "I'm the new operations chief aboard."
LTJG Lani Rodgers
Chief Operations Officer

Mess Management Officer

Postby Gawenn » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:17 am

In all honesty, Olivia had little to no practical knowledge on the history of artificial intelligence, or the previous attempts to combine them with starships. She filed the officer's words away, but more as information regarding her than anything regarding Cali. It was always a good idea to note what subjects not to bring up in someone's presence.

At the introduction, she straightened slightly herself. Being in charge of the galley and mess meant she heard a fair amount of rumors. And Rodger's reputation proceeded her, even after just a few weeks aboard. Still, Olivia had a firm belief in giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, and she offered a smile as she gave her own introduction. "Mess Management Officer Gawenn, Lieutenant. Nice to meet you."
Olivia "Rat" Gawenn
Mess Management Officer
USS Excalibur

Chief Operations Officer

Postby Lani Rodgers » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:33 am

Finally holstering the tricorder, Lani tried her hand at some small talk. "I like what you've done with the place, Gawenn," she had to make an effort to not come off sarcastic. "This is a big ship, someone actually cooking for a crew of this size is a nice touch. What... What are your specialties?"
LTJG Lani Rodgers
Chief Operations Officer

Mess Management Officer

Postby Gawenn » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:05 am

"Technically, my specialty is finding local food sources in emergency situations. I've spent the last year doing lectures on it." Gawenn grinned. "Most don't find it a riveting conversation piece. In fact, some of my lecture audiences were a little squeamish about it. What my crews know me for, though, is using those local sources to cook whatever I'm challenged to. I only seem to fail at that when someone decides to ask what they're actually eating."
Olivia "Rat" Gawenn
Mess Management Officer
USS Excalibur

Chief Operations Officer

Postby Lani Rodgers » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:16 pm

Lani nodded her head. "Sounds interesting," she said. Even Lani herself couldn't tell if she was genuine or not. "Once I'm done with this investigation, I'll have to come back here."

OOC: You can respond and post it. I know I've dragged my feet with posting in general, but that will change here very shortly. Time to get this JP out there.

Edit: Nevermind, I posted it. :P
LTJG Lani Rodgers
Chief Operations Officer

Mess Management Officer

Postby Gawenn » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:42 pm

OOC: Thank-you. You're faster than me lately. Got to work on that. :P
Olivia "Rat" Gawenn
Mess Management Officer
USS Excalibur

Previous

Return to Joint Post Development Arena